Delbert Pierce's connection with agriculture began as a child on his father's farming operation in Scottsdale. He married Anna Beth Allgood in 1938 and raised four children, farming and raising cattle in the Valley for a number of years. In 1959 the Pierces bought the Las Vegas Ranch north of Prescott, later adding the neighboring 7V Ranch and part of the Long Meadow Ranch. There they ran 150 purebred and 500 commercial Hereford cattle, developing a reputation for top quality Herefords. Delbert helped launch the Arizona National Livestock Show in Phoenix in 1949 and over the years won numerous championships at that show and others. He was also instrumental in starting the Arizona Hereford Association Bull Sale in Prescott in 1963, where over the years, he won more Champion Bull awards than any other breeder. In 1995 Delbert was named both the Arizona Cattle Growers' and the Arizona Hereford Association's "Cattleman of the Year:' He will perhaps be best remembered for donating the land where the building was erected to house the Arizona Cattle Growers' Association and the Arizona Cattle Industry Research & Education Foundation in Phoenix.